Monday, February 2, 2009

Got Milk?

Breast milk that is. Well, I have plenty. In fact, I have enough to share. Due to this abundance, I have become involved with an organization call the International Breast Milk Project (IBMP). It is quite a magnificent program. I donated breast milk that will either be sent to infants in South Africa who have been orphaned due to AIDS or it will be used for critically ill infants here in the United States. It was quite the procedure to be apporved as a donor. I applied before Lucy was born and I just sent my first shipment out today. My application was screened and both my doctor and Lucy's doctor had to be in support of me donating milk. Once I got past that stage, my freezer temperature had to be validated. I then completed a DNA test and had blood drawn. It was quite the process, but I am thrilled to be able to help out a baby in need.

My stockpile
I have another ode to breast milk. Many of you know that Lucy has suffered with a clogged tear duct since she was born. Her poor eye was always all gunked up, especially in the morning. Well, my friend Natalie asked me about Lucy's eye at playgroup. I told her what was wrong with it and how I was massaging it and hoping that it would clear up, so she wouldn't have to have surgery. She told me that one of her kids had had the same thing and she just squirted some breast milk in the eye and it cleared it right up. I was willing to try anything. I got home and the next time I fed Lucy, I put a couple drops in her eye and waited to see what would happen. It was amazing. There was improvement in just a few hours. I continued to put a couple drops in her eye for the rest of the night. I figured the real test would be over night, because her eye was always the worst in the morning. The next morning her eye was gunk free. Incredible! I was just sad that I hadn't tried it sooner.

Gunk free eye(her right one)

So glad her mom decided to do use her as a guinea pig for a science project

9 comments:

Carrie and Bri said...

That is the sickest thing I have ever heard (ok not really), but I am glad it worked. She is so cute.

Rachel said...

Carrie,
I realize it is somewhat hippieish, but you do what you got to do.

Nancy Mc said...

I think the clearing up of Lucy's tear duct is amazing. God knows what he is doing... I am glad that you have such an ample supply of milk. You are wonderful to be willing to go through the effort to share it with others.

Alifinale said...

YAY for breast milk. It is the miracle cure-all. Glad you passed the test so you can feed some other little tinies.

Oh, and the post below with Annie and her toe fork is the best. Annie and I have finger toes together!

Melissa said...

ok, where was that milk when I had the twins. That is amazing that you can share with people that need it. Lexy had the surgery. twice in one eye.

Mical said...

You are amazing! Not many people would go through that whole process to help. Way to go!

Darwin, Jen, Jensyn, Hurley, Violet, and Daphne said...

Hurley had a clogged tear duct and I had looked online for tips on helping it clear it. I read about the breast milk on it more than once. I am glad that it worked. You are amazing for sharing your milk with infants. You have a very giving heart.

Jessett said...

I think I want to donate with my next baby. That is awesome!

That is hilarious about milk in the eye. Who woudl have thought. HAHAHA!!!! Breast milk is like liquid gold man...

kat and jason said...

hopefully you check you messages often.. about the turtles: my realtor gave them to me. i don't know where she got them or where anyone can get them. pet store?? no idea. i'll ask her and get back though. keep it real.