Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rodeo Queen

Leah showing off her red cowgirl boots Leah with Jenna Whitaker, Miss Rodeo Utah

Annie and the princess

Leah and Annie with Grandma and Grandpa Walker

I have been going to the rodeo in Ogden since I was a kid. It brings back such fond memories. I remember trying to smuggle in goodies and my brother letting a package of licorice drop out of the blanket right in front of the ticket taker and worrying that we were all going to be searched and our treats confiscated. I remember when my mom got into a small altercation over seats. The rodeo had started and we were looking for a place to sit. As we were climbing up the bleachers there was a woman with about eight blankets spread out and no one in sight coming to sit on them. My mom told her that the rodeo was started, so she needed to give up some seats. This woman stood her ground. I was hundled next to my mom trying to remain calm, but at the same time I wanted my mom to kick the crap out of this woman. In the end my mom was victorious and we ended up with great seats to watch the action. I was so proud of my mom! Well, the rodeo tradition continues. We went with Brian's family last night and we weren't disappointed. I love to watch the people at an event like this. The hair height that some girls can accomplish is worth the ticket price alone. Of course, you always have the drunk lady that is so smashed she is gyrating to every song played over the loud speaker. This year we got a special treat. Miss Rodeo Utah came into the stands and ended up visiting with some people in the row right behind us! Well, Leah can hardly resist a "princess "dressed head to toe in sequins, so she went right up and started talking to her, she even sat on her lap for a few minutes. Leah got an autograph and a picture taken with royalty. Although Leah was a bit distraught that none of the "pretty ladies" would let her ride a horse (believe me, she asked) she is well on her way to some very special memories at the rodeo.

4 comments:

Kara said...

I LOVE this post! I LOVE Rodeos and I want to meet your mom! She sounds awesome and now we know where you got your fiesty side! I love Leah's cute boots and rodeo attire and how cute she looks with that Rodeo Queen. Annie doesn't look as into it. I remember my first Rodeo in Utah; the Dixie Round-Up. It was awesome- my first experience seeing Paligamists. That's a whole other post.

Nancy Mc said...

Love the pictures...with princess Leah and Annie and the rodeo girl. I too love the rodeo, just wish I could get someone to attend with me. It is interesting that we try to create fond memories for our children based on our 'fond memories'.

Darwin, Jen, Jensyn, Hurley, Violet, and Daphne said...

I am so glad that you blog. I miss all of your stories at book club it just not the same without you. Leah cracks me up. She is such a brave little girl. We should have gone to the rodeo-I love "people watching" and if the hair is as high as you sayit is I'm sure it is a sight to see.

Bringhursts said...

I'm a small town girl at heart and I love the rodeo. Your blog always makes me laugh.