Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sick

So the health gods have been pretty good to me. My girls have been relatively healthy. Sure there has been a cold here or there, but no ear infections, no tonsil issues, no real life stopping infirmities to speak of. This is quite a feat with little ones. The weather here started to warm up and cold and flu season was winding down, or so I thought. I got a little cocky thinking that I had made it through another winter unscathed. Well, I was wrong. My luck has changed and it all hit the fan yesterday. Annie started out with a cough early last week that just keep getting phlemier and more rattly as the days went by. Lucy started in with a cough the day after Annie started with hers (It is near impossible to expect a 2 year old not to touch her baby sister when she is like a walking petri dish. I try and explain contagious, but she just looks at me like I have three heads.). Needless to say, things went downhill pretty quickly. Lucy's appetite decreased dramatically and she was lethargic and sleeping more than usual. Annie coughed so hard she threw up. Obviously some type of intervention was needed, so Saturday morning the entire family wound up at the doctor's office. The result: Annie has bronchiolitits and an ear infection (caused by the build up of snot in her sinuses) and Lucy has RSV. Fabulous. I am now a regular Florence Nightingale. I give antibiotics (only to Annie because they would do nothing for Lucy and I am glad my doctor recognized that) twice a day, breathing treatments for each girl every 4-6 hours, Tylenol every four hours, and extra loves during the times they are awake. The breathing treatments are quite entertaining. Annie does pretty good about holding the tube in her mouth or close to her nose, but she wanted to give her toes some medicine and then her knees. My mom told me that some kids get hyper from the steroid and so of course, Annie falls into that category. She is like a midget on speed. She keeps us quite entertained for about an hour and then she crashes. Leah is starting to get the cough that Annie has, so I think I will just start giving her the breathing treatments too. I wish I could isolate them in their own bubble in order to avoid the cross contamination. Brian has been a huge help this weekend and his parents are coming to visit tomorrow, so I'm grateful for the extra adults to help maintain control. Hopefully, we will all be feeling better soon and the health gods will smile on me once again.
The drug regime Annie holding her own treatment tube and Brian holding the receipt from the pharmacy showing that we didn't have to pay anything. I love health insurance!!
Annie being such a good girl.
We tried the mask first and she really wasn't a fan.
Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever seen?
Lucy having a go with the tube
This might actually be the saddest thing

5 comments:

Emily said...

My goodness I had no idea you guys were all so sick! Poor little Lucy and Annie!!! Let me know if you guys need anything, I'd love to help in some way. It's not fun to be stuck inside with sick kids!

Kara said...

I'm so sorry! I had no idea your girls were so sick- they seemed so happy when we went to the museum. Now I want to stay home and put Nathan in a bubble and keep him from getting sick anytime soon! I hate to have a sick kid and worry about bringing a baby home from the hospital with a sick kid! I am going to go clean and sanitize my house!

Alifinale said...

I am so sorry. Sick kids are the worst and staying cooped up isn't too fun either. I love you took pics of the meds (shows that this really is a new thing for you). Your stuff all looks different than mine, weird. And sad for me, my insurance must not be as good as yours because I had to pay way more than nothing for all Sage's crap.

Get better soon!

Nancy Mc said...

Sad that they are so sick, but amazing what can be done 'now days'. Hope you have a speedy recovery and you get to do some fun things with the grandparents.

Melissa said...

ok I have not been by you. I thought that my fam was the lucky one to get this. I hope that everyone gets better soon. If you need anything let me know. I finally got the ok to send the oxygen back:)