Sunday, May 10, 2009

Broken

As a mom, these things happen. I'm not surprised because I went through it more than once growing up. I just figured it would strike when my kids were a bit older, and doing more things that would warrant this result. You just never can predict when one of your kids ends up in a cast. Last week, Annie feel victim to the plaster confinment. On Monday, she was jumping on the neighbors trampoline and while jumping, she started complaining that her leg hurt. In fact, it was bothering her so bad that she was brought home in tears. I gave her some motrin and she went to bed. The next morning she couldn't walk on it, so I took her to Urgent Care to see what was going on. X-rays were taken and I was told that she had not broken anything. The doctor told me if she still wasn't able to bear weight on it the next morning to bring her back in. We went home, she got another dose of motrin and went to bed. The next morning she resorted to crawling, her bun leg dragging behind her, as her mode of getting around. Brian and I kept trying to get her to walk, but we were unsuccessful in our attempts. On Friday morning, she saw a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. He took more X-rays and informed me that she had broken her tibia (big bone) up by her knee (way to go Urgent Care!). She selected a lovely purple cast that is now a part of her life for the next three weeks. She is still crawling, but she is being brave and standing and showing us how she can take a few steps. It's like having a 35 pound infant because I usually end up carrying her where she needs to go. We aren't the first to endure a cast and we won't be the last. I'm just glad that it's not 110 degrees outside yet.Notice the purple nail polish on her toes. She had to match her cast.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh man, poor ANNIE!!! The same thing happened when Easton hurt his foot...urgent care said nothing was broken, but he wouldn't walk. Then they called us a day later and told us his foot was broken. Stupid urgent care.

Her purple cast is awesome and I hope she's not in any pain!

Kara said...

Poor Annie, and poor you to have to carry her around! She still looks happy and cute as ever in her purple cast though. I hope these three weeks go by quickly for you! It's almost pool time!

Jodi and Dan said...

Aw, poor thing! My little sister broke her leg on a trampoline, too. We pulled her around in a little red wagon. ;)

Alifinale said...

Sad for little Annie (and you to have to carry her all day)! She looks so stinkin' cute in these pictures though. Glad you figured out what it was and she won't have to wear it too long.